By Daniele Faccio, Francesco Belgiorno, Sergio Cacciatori, Vittorio Gorini, Stefano Liberati, Ugo Moschella
Analogue Gravity Phenomenology is a set of contributions that disguise an unlimited variety of components in physics, starting from floor wave propagation in fluids to nonlinear optics. The underlying universal element of a majority of these issues, and therefore the focus and standpoint from which they're defined the following, is the try and strengthen analogue types for gravitational structures. the unique and major motivation of the sphere is the verification and research of Hawking radiation from a horizon: the allowing function is the chance to generate horizons within the laboratory with quite a lot of actual platforms that contain a circulation of 1 style or one other. The years round 2010 and onwards witnessed a surprising surge of experimental task during this increasing box of study. besides the fact that, development an services in analogue gravity calls for the researcher to be outfitted with a slightly large diversity of data and pursuits. the purpose of this booklet is to deliver the reader brand new with the newest advancements and supply the elemental historical past required so one can relish the ambitions, problems, and good fortune tales within the box of analogue gravity.
Each bankruptcy of the ebook treats a unique subject defined intimately via the key specialists for every particular self-discipline. the 1st chapters supply an summary of black gap spacetimes and Hawking radiation ahead of relocating directly to describe the massive number of analogue spacetimes which were proposed and are at the moment lower than research. This introductory half is then by means of an in-depth description of what are presently the 3 such a lot promising analogue spacetime settings, specifically floor waves in flowing fluids, acoustic oscillations in Bose-Einstein condensates and electromagnetic waves in nonlinear optics. either concept and experimental endeavours are defined intimately. the ultimate chapters check with different elements of analogue gravity past the research of Hawking radiation, akin to Lorentz invariance violations and Brownian movement in curved spacetimes, sooner than concluding with a go back to the origins of the sector and an outline of the to be had observational facts for horizons in astrophysical black holes.
Read or Download Analogue gravity phenomenology : analogue spacetimes and horizons, from theory to experiment PDF
Best atomic & nuclear physics books
Fuel section molecular spectroscopy is a robust instrument for acquiring details at the geometry and inner constitution of remoted molecules in addition to at the interactions that they suffer. It permits the examine of basic parameters and approaches and is additionally used for the sounding of fuel media via optical recommendations.
This e-book brings jointly numerous facets of the nuclear fission phenomenon found via Hahn, Strassmann and Meitner nearly 70 years in the past. starting with an historic advent the authors current numerous types to explain the fission technique of sizzling nuclei in addition to the spontaneous fission of chilly nuclei and their isomers.
Atoms and Their Spectroscopic houses has been designed as a reference on atomic constants and effortless strategies related to atoms. the themes comprise strength degrees, Lamb shifts, electrical multipole polarizabilities, oscillator strengths, transition probabilites, and cost move pass sections.
This tested textual content includes a complicated presentation of quantum mechanics tailored to the necessities of contemporary atomic physics. The 3rd version extends the profitable moment variation with an in depth therapy of the wave movement of atoms, and it additionally includes an creation to a couple elements of atom optics that are appropriate for present and destiny experiments regarding ultra-cold atoms.
- Relativistic Nuclear Interactions
- Theory of atomic and molecular clusters : with a glimpse at experiments
- Isolated Neutron Stars: from the Surface to the Interior
- Quantum Tunneling in Complex Systems: The Semiclassical Approach
- Atomic Collision Theory
- Atoms, Molecules and Photons: An Introduction to Atomic-, Molecular- and Quantum-Physics
Additional info for Analogue gravity phenomenology : analogue spacetimes and horizons, from theory to experiment
35) with logarithmic phase divergence at the horizon can be analytically continued across the horizon to make either a positive or a negative frequency solution. To see how this works, let’s first simplify the notation a bit and set xH = 0, so the horizon lies at x = 0. Now a positive x-frequency function has the form ∞ ikx , which is analytic in the upper-half complex x-plane since addition 0 dkf (k)e of a positive imaginary part to x leaves the integral convergent. g. , or references therein.
Hep-th/9303103 16. : Modern tests of Lorentz invariance. Living Rev. Relativ. 8, 5 (2005). gr-qc/0502097 17. : Lorentz invariance violation and its role in quantum gravity phenomenology. In: Oriti, D. ) Approaches to Quantum Gravity, pp. 528–547 (2006). hep-th/0603002 18. : On the origin of the outgoing black hole modes. Phys. Rev. D 53, 7082 (1996). hep-th/9601064 19. : Constructing QFT’s wherein Lorentz invariance is broken by dissipative effects in the UV. 3943 [hep-th] (2007) 20. : Quantum field theory on a growing lattice.
12) A theoretical cosmologist should recognize this as the Einstein static universe in isotropic coordinates [9–11]. A theoretician working in optics should recognize this as the Maxwell fish-eye lens [12–14]. This is simply the first of many crossconnections between optics and general relativity. This becomes (or should become) a two-way street for information exchange. The Maxwell fish-eye above is an example of a Lüneburg lens , and has now become the canonical example which helped initiate much of the recently developed field of “transformation optics” [16–19].