This pioneering quantity of essays explores the destruction of significant libraries when you consider that precedent days and examines the highbrow, political and cultural outcomes of loss. Fourteen unique contributions, brought via a huge re-evaluative historical past of misplaced libraries, provide the 1st ever comparative dialogue of the best catastrophes in e-book heritage from Mesopotamia and Alexandria to the dispersal of monastic and monarchical booklet collections, the Nazi destruction of Jewish libraries, and the hot scary pillage and burning in Tibet, Bosnia and Iraq.
Read or Download Lost Libraries: The Destruction of Great Book Collections Since Antiquity PDF
Similar history books
Scientia is the time period that early smooth philosophers utilized to a undeniable type of demonstrative wisdom, the sort whose beginning issues have been applicable first ideas. In pre-modern philosophy, too, scientia was once the identify for demonstrative wisdom from first rules. yet pre-modern and early sleek conceptions fluctuate systematically from each other.
This e-book areas the marine coverage enterprise of Amsterdam within the wider context of the political economic system of Europe in the course of the moment 1/2 the eighteenth century. The research is predicated at the simultaneous quotations of rates for the twenty-two teams of locations which shaped a massive a part of the commerical matrix of the Netherlands.
Farming platforms learn (FSR) should be outlined as a diagnostic technique, offering a suite of tools for researchers to appreciate farm families and their decision-making. Its functions use this figuring out to extend potency within the use of human and budgetary assets for agricultural improvement, together with study, extension and coverage formula.
The lengthy partitions becoming a member of Athens with its harbors are universally famous as symbols of naval imperialism and the lynchpin of a thorough departure from conventional Greek army procedure through the later 5th century B. C. however, many vital questions about the constructions stay disputed or just ignored.
- The Logic of Political Conflict in Medieval Cities: Italy and the Southern Low Countries, 1370-1440 (Oxford Historical Monographs)
- Army Architecture in the West: Forts Laramie, Bridger, and D.A. Russell, 1849-1912
- Stars, Myths and Rituals in Etruscan Rome (Space and Society)
- The Agrarian Question and the Peasant Movement in Colombia: Struggles of the National Peasant Association, 1967-1981
Extra info for Lost Libraries: The Destruction of Great Book Collections Since Antiquity
Davis, Jr. and Cheng Huanwen, ‘Destruction of Chinese Books in the Peking Siege of 1900’, IFLA Conference Proceedings, 25–31 Aug. htm). Richard O’Connor, The Spirit Soldiers: A Historical Narrative of the Boxer Rebellion (New York: G. P. Putnam’s Sons, 1973), p. 134. Davis and Huanwen, ‘Destruction of Chinese Books’, p. 4. Encyclopaedia of Library and Information Science, 53 vols (New York, 1968–94), 2: 310. , Holocaust and the Book, pp. 59–65 (p. 61). See Leonadis E. , Holocaust and the Book, pp.
Harvard University Press, 2001). Recent and continuing scholarship reconstructing libraries is diverse, but notably includes the Plume Library, Maldon; David Fate Norton and Mary J. Norton, The David Hume Library (Edinburgh: Edinburgh Bibliographical Society, 1996); the Royal Library at Lisbon, Angela Delaforce, Art and Patronage in Eighteenth-Century Portugal (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003); Liudmila V. D. , Cambridge University, 2000; the library of Jonathan Swift, continuing project directed by Hermann J.
64. 13; El-Abbadi, Life and Fate of the Ancient Library of Alexandria, pp. 150–1. 65. Bellum Alexandrinum, 13; El-Abbadi, Life and Fate of the Ancient Library of Alexandria, p. 151. 66. Plutarch, Caesar, and Plutarch, Antony, 28; El-Abbadi, Life and Fate of the Ancient Library of Alexandria, pp. 150–2, 156. 67. Canfora, Vanished Library; cf. El-Abbadi, Life and Fate of the Ancient Library of Alexandria, pp. 153, 167. 68. El-Abbadi, Life and Fate of the Ancient Library of Alexandria, p. 153. 69.